Monday, November 4, 2013

Week 8 - Comprehension

While I was reading the Pardo article, I kept relating it back to things we have talked about in class, like, the definition of reading. There are many different definitions of what people perceive reading as, and along with that there are many different definitions of fluency and comprehension. Being able to comprehend a story or an article for elementary school children is the ultimate goal. Sure, they may be able to read every single word very quickly, but are they really comprehending and understanding the message the combination of all the words is trying to convey?

While searching on Pinterest for comprehension activities, I noticed that a lot of the Comprehension exercises were True/False games. At first, the True/False games did not appeal to me, but I took a closer look and I began to realize why there were so many! This is an easy game that gets the point across. Yes, you have a 50/50 shot at answering the correct answer even if you did not comprehend the book or story, but I believe an attentive teacher would be able to tell the difference.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment