Sunday, November 10, 2013

Week 10 - Real Life Inquiry - Words Their Way Spelling Inventory



I believe that knowing spelling stages of individual students can help a lot in the classroom. Knowing where each student stands will help me teach each student to my best ability. I did my inquiry with a fourth grade classroom in Knox County. I gave the class the elementary spelling inventory from Words Their Way.
In the Journal of Child Development, Whitehurst and Lonigan wrote an article about emergent literacy and the proposition that emergent literacy consists of two distinct domains: inside-out skills (like phonological awareness and letter knowledge), and outside-in skills (like language and conceptual knowledge). It claims that these two domains come into play at different points during reading acquisition, and inside-out skills includes emergent spelling with letter knowledge and phonological awareness. Letter knowledge and phonological awareness are what spelling helps to produce. Phonological awareness is a term that refers to the understanding about words and sounds in words. Spelling can help students understand that sentences are made of words and words are made of syllables, which are constructed by letters.
I do not believe that weekly spelling lists help students become better spellers, but I do believe there are ways that we can use lists to our advantage as teachers. By using the spelling inventories in Words Their Way we see what stages of spellers students are. Our students will not all be on the same spelling level no matter how many spelling tests we give, so these inventories give students the opportunity to tell us what they understand and which patterns they have mastered. One of my favorite spelling quotes I have heard is “We do not make every student try out for the basketball team every week, so why should we make every student try out for the spelling team every Friday.” We, as teachers, need to find out what patterns students are struggling with, and give them proper instruction to bring them up to grade level.
For the most part, the classroom I gave the inventory to was pretty consistent. Once I graphed all of the students on the Classroom Composite sheet given in Words Their Way, I was able to clearly see the patterns of all the students. There was only one student in the classroom that missed a considerable amount of basic skills like digraphs and blends. If I were the teacher, I would give this student some supplementary materials to help with these patterns. I was also able to see that this class probably has not covered Harder Suffixes and Bases or Roots because almost every student missed these skills.
 According to Farrall, spelling and decoding are two sides of the same coin; they both rely on the same underlying skills, thus connecting spelling and reading further. (Farrall, 295.) This chapter says “While spelling is more challenging than decoding, most children with weak decoding skills are also impaired in their ability to spell words with accuracy.” If teachers become more familiar with their students spelling patterns – they will have the ability to further understand difficulties in reading. Another thing that connects spelling and reading that this chapter talks about is the concept of sight reading, which is a process by which letters and letter combinations are mapped to sounds.
Spelling lists test more of a student’s memory, than if they truly know how to spell the words. The spelling inventory I gave has continued to tell me that we need to teach our students patterns and not rules for spelling. I definitely want to use this inventory in my future classrooms so I am able to help and teach each student in ways that aid them most.


References

Farrall, Melissa Lee. (2012), Reading Assessment: linking language, literacy, and cognition. Chapter 14, Pgs. 295-297. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley and Sons, Inc. Print.

Whitehurst, G. J. and Lonigan, C. J. (1998), Child Development and Emergent Literacy. Child Development, 69: 848–872. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8624.1998.tb06247.x

No comments:

Post a Comment